Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Religion

Hari ni agak menakutkan jugak la kan. Baru second day puasa dah kene duga. I was sitting at the brigde alone after tutorial trying to read my media textbook when two Korean girls came and ask if they can sit on the couch. Why not kan? So, I put away the newspapers that were on the couch so that the girls could sit there. That's when it all started.

The first girl asked if I was a student there, what course am I taking bla bla the normal conversation that you have with people you've just met. There was nothing fishy about them at first until they told me that they were from Hamilton and that they came here because they had this Christian group discussion or something like that. Then she started talking about Christianity, the history of it, what they believe in, who Jesus Christ is etc. I just listened because I didn't want to be rude and I believe that we have to respect other people's religion. It was a bit scary because I was alone and I was really uncomfortable when they kept trying to convince me to believe in Jesus Christ (as God). After about 15 minutes of preaching, the girl said, "Let's all say together Jesus Christ's name". I told her I can't because I believe in Allah and Muhammad as my prophet. She then said that it's OK because the Lord (Jesus Christ) tak memilih who can and who can't pray to him. She was very persistent and I was starting to get really really uncomfortable. In the end she gave up trying to get me to pray to Jesus and said that I can always come to their Christian group discussion every Wednesday or maybe we could have lunch together and talk about it (Christianity). I said thank you and just smiled and off they went.

Okay, first of all, I respect all religions. However, what happened today was really uncomfortable for me. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to them or their God but asking me to pray to their God right there right then was really unexpected. I didn't know what to do or what to say. I know they are just trying to get people to follow their path because they believe it is the right one, tapi I don't think after 15 minutes of preaching, people can just accept smua kan? Terkejut lah orang.

Things that she said that got me a bit confused:
  • All religions are man-made. In the bible God never said you can't do this you can't do that, tu humans yang cakap. All God said was to believe in him and you will go to heaven.
  • God transformed himself as human in the form of Jesus Christ. And then she said how Jesus prays to God. I asked her, if Jesus is God, then why does he need to pray? And then she said something about there is this other God in the heavens. I guess she was referring to Tuhan Bapa. But before that she said people selalu silap ingat ada Tuhan Bapa and then Jesus anak Tuhan. She said Jesus is God, dia tukar jadi human so that he can get the people to believe. You know, like if we see something, lebih senang nak believe? I was already confused so I didn't ask further.
  • She also gave the analogy of a glove. Orang cipta glove sebab ada tangan nak masukkan dalam glove tu. God cipta manusia so that later dia boleh transform jadi manusia juga (Jesus Christ) and bring the people to the right path. If he didn't create manusia then dia tak boleh nak bawak people to the right path. (Ok, at this point I was really really confused).
  • I asked her what is the opposite of sin. She said there is no opposite of sin. They believe that if you pray to Jesus Christ then you will be saved.
Ada a few more things that she said that got me a confused but I forgot most of it so I can't write it here. Nanti salah cerita.

"Aku naik saksi bahawa tiada tuhan yang disembah melainkan Allah, dan aku naik saksi bahawa Nabi Muhammad itu pesuruh Allah"

13 comments:

Muhammad Edwan Shaharir said...

must be some jehova's witness' or something. the thing is these ppl say "oh its ok, Jesus is accepting" but then refuse to comply with other ppl's beliefs.

nobody seems to care than Judaism, Christianity and Islam are linked.. hm.

no religion forces ppl to convert. it's either they open enough to do so, or they belief enough in their existing one to have faith.

as muslims, we are tolerant kan?

no worries rasyiqah, u have faith. just hang on to that faith. christians maybe misguided, but if that's what they choose to believe, then only God can show them otherwise.

we, on the other hand, just have to make sure we're good enough Muslims, even if we don't openly preach.

;)

Kikuri-hime said...

Eee... that's so freaky. I had encountered this kinda experience back in uni. A fren of mind was preaching 'bout chistianity. Then, when we ignored her she replied "Jesus still loves you". I guess, this thing happens everywhere. A friend of mine (quite close too) was almost murtad. Because she fell head over heel with his chiristian boyfriend. Thank god the UKM people realised this earlier...

But, i'm not worriedlah! I bet u r a strong person inside and out! Take care and thanx for sharing ur story.

RKA said...

Edwan,
all of my christian friends are more terbuka when we talk about religion. yang tadi ni je memaksa...

Ms D,
I can't remember when but there was this one time we were walking back from Uni (or from town) and there was this guy walked pass us his head facing down and mumbled something...it took me a while to realise what he was saying. he said "jesus loves you". hmm.

Jo said...

oh god iqa kesian u
tak sangka u kena duga macam ni
tapi nasib baik u kuat
syukurlah
Tuhan takkan uji kita apa kita takleh handle
the fact Allah kasi u ujian ni shows that u r in fact strong enough
bersyukurlah =)

and also
kan slalu kita nk ckp kat diorg
we love Jesus too
just not as our god
but as a prophet that precedes our prophet heheh

iynas said...

good job iqa..yg penting dun be rude and we hold on tight to our faith :-)

iynas said...

couldn't agree more with jo..this just shows that u're strong..hold on to it and insya Allah..u're ok :-)

DANS said...

Uh, another freaky experience for you...

I guess they're just playing their cards, using their tactics to confuse us. I think they're using some sort of 'direct attack' to the 'rationality' of the mind.

All in all, glad nothing aggressive happened. G'luck and take care Kak Iqa!!

dreamer said...

::scarry tapi menarik!~
::kalaulah aku ada kat tempat kau, mesti tergamam kot~
::but again pengalaman yang menarik~ =D

unknown said...

iqa. thats so scary.

i kne jugak skali. tp it just a few mins. sbb i lari ckp ade kelas. huhu.

tkut kn. n ble jumpe org2 cmtu, it makes me sedar sgt2 y my knowledge psl oru religion sgt sgt sgt la cetek. camne nk back up if ade org persoalkn. haih.

smoga ramadhan ni akn tarek kte to be better muslims, n to know Islam better, n to be closer to Him, our creator.

RKA said...

Jo,
maybe God wants to test my faith. Because of what happened, it made me realize how cetek my knowledge about my own religion. Rasa sedih pun ada. Seriously regret dropping out of skolah agama back when I was 12. haih.

Iynas,
thanks. I sgt grateful that I'm a muslim :)

Ben,
I don't know knape NZ ni suka sgt bagi cabaran kat me. hehe. tp i'm ok. I've learned a lot from all these freaky experiences :)

Nazir,
it was an experience indeed. :)

Shanis,
amin :)

Sam said...

the next time someone does that to you, say to them 'me no speek inglees'. they'll lose interest in you in no time. nevertheless great post, made me think.

Cheers
The Rhymeweaver
Malaysian hip hop for the intelligent listener

Rahiza Haszian Abdul Rahim said...

take care sis. these people can be really pushy. jgn sampai diaorang follow ke bilik..naya nak halau nyamuk persistent camtuh. banyak2 baca quran, ayat qursi, lindungkan diri yek.

RKA said...

the rhymeweaver,
I shall remember that next time! hehe. but they look so normal and friendly at first. :p

Kak Intan,
Masa tu I was at Uni...nasib baik. :)
I'll remember ur advice :)