Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sunday, February 17th

It has been almost a week since I arrived in Wellington. So far, everything has been great and I am enjoying myself here. Orientation week is nothing like the ones I’ve heard about in Malaysia. It is more relaxed and the people here are very friendly. The only thing that I am still trying to get used to is the weather. The weather in Wellington is so unpredictable. One minute it is sunny and nice and suddenly the wind blows and it rains. It is very important to bring a hooded sweater in your bag everywhere you go if you are in Wellington. They say you can experience all four season in one day! Two days ago, I was freezing like mad because I forgot my sweater! Oh yeah, my room is really really really nice! (But the rent is quite expensive too…heheh)

I’m on the sixth floor but my room is facing an office building (I was hoping for a nicer view). I have to be careful if I want to change my clothes and stuff like that… But other than that, it is really nice. There’s a kitchenette in my room and for the past two days, I have been experimenting with a lot of cooking. Wellington is not that expensive if you know the right places to buy your groceries and stuff. There is a Sunday Market near where I live that sells vegetables and fruits and it’s really cheap. I went there this morning. I can also get my groceries for cheap at New World Supermarket but I have to do a bit of walking. There is a nearer one called New World Metro down Willis St. where I live, but it is a bit expensive than the one I mentioned before. As for things like plates, cups, pots, pans, etc, Warehouse is the place to go. I’ve been there 3 times, I think. Another place is called Briscoes but that one is also a bit expensive.

Oh! My campus is wayyyy up the hill. I have to walk about 1 km uphill (maybe more) just to get to class! It’s a 45° hill. No kidding! The first day I went there I thought I would never make it! But after the 3rd day, it’s not that bad anymore. It’s really really really steep! If I’m not mistaken, Wellington is the hilliest city in New Zealand.

I think I can like this place. Yeah, I think I can. I hope I will not go through the depression mode that everyone is talking about. I know things are okay now because everything is new and exciting, but I hope it will somehow stay this way. I am not yet homesick but I do miss the people at home. I’ve been calling Mak everyday so I think I’ll be alright. Wan is away camping somewhere so I will only be able to talk to him tomorrow, I think. I wish I can bring my family and Wan here... I hope they can come visit me soon though. I can’t wait to show them my room and my newly improved cooking skills. Hehehe. I have a new cell phone number over here but I am not planning to give it away just yet. But if anyone wants it, just leave a message here or on friendster.

I think this is all for now. I will write more as time goes. I can’t promise to write everyday since I don’t know how my classes will be. I have to get used to this place first. Besides, it is time that I focus more on my studies :) Do wish me luck. I’m going to sign up for my wireless connection tomorrow.

Ta ta

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

enjoy wellington..

;)

Breathing.In.Luxembourg said...

steep hills? that's good!im sure you are going to have a supermodel's bod in no time! and strong pair of kakis! :) :) :) glad u r having fun over there syeqa!

RKA said...

hehe thanks kb. tp pnat la naik bukit nak pegi uni! :(

Anonymous said...

hye iqa!! it sounds like ur settling in just fine over there, so happy for ya =). i'm sure u'll have so much fun there, u won't have time to be homesick hehehe. well, u take care ok and hopefully kitorg di mesia ni can visit u soon :D

p/s: am now eating the chocs u got me frm langkawi! tq again, its yummehhh :)

RKA said...

hey kak iza! :) i hope i won't get homesick! everyone keep saying that this is the honeymoon period and that i am going to face the depression era soon. i dont want that! haih

come here cepat2...tak sabar nak tunjuk the lovely wellington!